Tuesday night we went down to the garden again. Jonah loves the garden...can't you tell? And Jax loves the cows, so its never hard to get my kids down there.

David had a good ol' time harvesting artichokes. His "harvest" was a LOT (more than we can eat, I'm sure of that), but that was probably only 1 plant worth and we've got like 20...anyone want artichokes?
Jonah did a great job chopping the big weeds up, but soon he discovered what Jaxon was doing and decided to join in. Jax found raspberries and decided to do his own harvesting. Yup, our raspberries are starting to grow in...woo hoo!
After a while the boys were restless, so David took them home to cook up some artichokes and I stayed behind to weed. Let me just say that I worked my tail off...hopefully literally! I weeded for a couple hours and it was hard work! We've got at least 2 dozen tomato plants that needed some major TLC. I really enjoy working out in the garden. It is lots of work and my hands hurt and my thighs are still sore, but it was very enjoyable. Its very calming being amongst nature all by myself with only my thoughts.
So when I was finally done (or rather couldn't do any more), I headed down to check out the blackberry plants. I found what I've been waiting for...our blackberries are blooming - YAY!!! They look so beautiful. It's only a matter of weeks now before they start popping out...oh I can't wait!
The cows were down by the berries, so I decided to say hello. I love having cows (have I mentioned that before?) I never did post about our newest addition. About a week after our last 2 calves were born, another one popped out. We were all surprised, because we thought all the cows had already given birth, but I guess not. She is So stinkin' precious! I think she is the most curious of all the calves we've had. She didn't come up to me like the other cows, but she did get close. She was very curious as to who I was and what I was doing. I love that all the calves hang out together. Other than feeding time, at pretty much any given moment you'll find the calves all hanging out by each other. It really is cute!
Speaking of calves, this is our oldest calf. He was born about a week before we moved here. So he is about 10 months old. He has certainly gotten big! He is now as big as some of the cows and almost as big as the others. I think he is in like teenage mode right now. He's too old to be with the other calves, but too young to hang with the adults. BUT he has a girlfriend. Yes, cows can have girlfriends too. He has this one cow that he totally follows all around (no, it's not his mom!) and he keeps lovin' on her (ok, well he rubs his nose on her like he's kissin' her or something and leans his head on her back). There's another cow who's totally trying to get his affection (the black and white one behind him), but he and the girlfriend keep snubbin' her away. It's really funny to watch. Oh, first loves!
The boys and I planted some seeds of our own...sunflowers, corn, watermelon, pickling cucumbers, and basil. We planted them a little late, so these may just end up as being an educational moment for my kids (watching seeds grow and all), but we're really enjoying watching their progress. This is what they looked like about 5 days after they were planted. Now (about 2 weeks later), they're really growing high! The corn is at least 4 or 5 inches high now. It's really fun to watch!
Oh how I love Spring and Summer!









5 comments:
WOW!! How much land do you have? This looks like fun- and did I mention how cute your little guys are?!
YES PLEASE on the artichokes:)
Cool! Yes, we could live off artichokes. I literally buy them every week. If you have extras, I'll come get some or bring them to church!! :)
What a great landlord you have that you have your pick of any of the fruit and vegetables. They look good. Back in the college days, I never thought I'd hear you say how much you love cows!!
I am so jealous of your garden. We have been slackers this year on getting one started. Maybe when we get the house stuff done we will get around to some winter gardening. Nice work!
Post a Comment