Monday, December 8, 2008

Parades, Parties, and Sinteklaas Day!

We had a great weekend full of family and fun!  Friday night we went over to my grandparent's house for a little Sinteklaas Day celebration.  Of course Swarte Piet (Sinteklaas' helper) stopped by and threw candy in the door for the kids.  As always it was lots of fun watching the little kids scramble for candy.


On the way home, we stopped by the Henderson's house.  They are a family that lives a few blocks over from my parents.  I went to school with one of their daughters.  Every year its so exciting to see the wonderful light display they put up...every year its different and incredible.  Of course we had to get some pictures as snowmen!


We finally decorated our tree!  We've had it up for a while, but I wanted to wait until David was home to do it with us.  Jaxon wasn't too interested, so Jonah & I did most of it, but it was fun anyway.  We (unfortunately) went with the little fake tree again...there's always next year!


Saturday morning the boys woke up to full wooden shoes!  Jonah was most excited about the bag of Clementines.  The first words out of his mouth when he saw everything was "YES, Sinteklaas got me my favorite oranges!"  Naturally it wouldn't be a proper shoe-filling without a chocolate letter!  Jaxon was funny - he was so excited about his Elmo books, but wasn't so sure about the rest.  He just kind of sat there staring for a while, then finally nudged stuff with his toes.


Saturday morning we went to the Christmas parade in Grover Beach.  We missed the San Luis Obispo and Arroyo Grande parades, so we thought we'd hit this one up.  It was kinda rinky dink, but fun for the kids.  There were LOTS of old fire trucks.  The boys favorite was the horse drawn buggy that was bookin'!  Jax kept trying to escape - one time he ran after a float that had a giant blowup Grinch (luckily there was huge spaces between entries).  Can you tell by the last picture that we're at the beach?  Actually we were really confused because pretty much every entry was beach-themed and it wasn't until the end that we realized that that was the theme of the parade...we just thought everyone was over doing the fact that we're near the beach.


Saturday night was our church Christmas party.  The primary kids did a little Nativity performance...Jonah was a shephard.  He was cracking us up, because for most of it he had this petrified look on his face, then finally he looked at me all funny, so I thought he had to go to the bathroom or something, so I mouthed "do you have to go potty" and he proceeded to mouth something, I have no idea what, and some made up sign language, finally he did this weird gesture with his hands like he had to go poop (yes, on the stage in front of everyone), so David went up and brought him to the potty.  It was really funny.  Luckily no one seemed to notice but us.  There was this one little boy in the front that was SO funny!  Fun stuff...there's always something funny that comes along with Primary programs...I won't mention what others did, but I will say it was much more horrifying for his parents, but VERY funny for the audience!  Kids!


This weekend was Bob & Wendy's CD release.  They're a couple who David recorded - in fact they were the first project David started out of the theater (I say "started" because their project was a LONG time in the making.  It took them almost 2 years to record their album and months to get their artwork done.  So they weren't the first done.).  I was lucky enough to be able to drop the boys off at my parents and enjoy the show with David.  The real treat was at the end when David got up and played with them for the last 3 songs.  They have been really good to him...giving him a LOT of credit where credit is definitely due!   (My camera is not working right, so this is pretty much the only decent shot I got - all the rest were really dark or blurry)

3 comments:

Sandy said...

So what IS the sign for "I need to poop"? Hilarious - wish I could have seen Jonah as a shepherd! You guys have had lots of Christmas fun! My kids got sleds from Sinteklaas - we already had to explain to them before they saw your blog that their CA cousins don't need sleds, too, so would be getting something different:)

eva said...

HI Julie! Your family looks like so much fun! By the way, I love Bob and Wendy! Hope to see you and your kids on Friday!

The Salinas Family said...

My boys are wondering why they aren't dutch!?! So much fun. It sounds like a great month for you guys:)