Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My Poor, Poor Jonah...

My poor little Jonah has unfortunately inherited 1 too many bad traits from his parents.  Thursday night one of his fillings fell out (1 1/2 years ago he had 8 cavities resulting in 7 fillings & 1 cap), so we called the dentist Friday and went in today.  Turns out his tooth started decaying above and around the filling and that's why it fell out.  Well now there's an infection and he'll have to get it pulled.  

We found that he also has an extra tooth above his baby teeth too, that in the future will have to be taken care of as well (you can see on the far right there is the baby tooth, then 2 teeth above instead of the 1)


So I was talking to the dentist about his teeth.  I try my best to get him to brush and floss and rinse with mouth wash, but obviously that's not enough (he OBVIOUSLY has inherited the infamous Radmacher dental curse).  So I was asking if there might be something they can test for or look for (in him and David) that might help us in protecting his teeth (in fact I'm worried about his bone health in general - with David's shoulder problems and different family members having osteoporosis, I'm worried he's going down the same brittle bone path).  The doctor wasn't too worried and said there is, but nothing seems to jump up at him, so he said to wait and see if it gets worse (which always seems to be the case).  WELL...he decided to just look around and check the other teeth and found a soft spot, so he x-rayed it AND...um, yah, he has to get 2 more pulled (the 2 on the left).


So my poor little Jonah has to go in Thursday and get not 1, not 2, but 3 teeth pulled! So any dentists (and dentists in training) out there (Steve, Tyler, Ben...), if you've got any ideas, let me know!  

Jonah was NOT looking forward to going in.  David got a tooth pulled about a year ago and Jonah has been terrified ever since that they will do the same for him...now his worst fears are coming true 3 fold!  The sad thing (other then that it happened at all) is that all 3 of the bad teeth were ones that were already worked on - 2 of which had nerve work done...that really stinks!

After having to have an x-ray last week and now the dentist, I don't know if my brave little boy will ever again let us bring him in a doctor/dentist without putting up a fight!  

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh man! Poor little guy!! I know of 3 other little kids with dental problems similar to Jonahs...one just got diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and the other two had hardly any enamel on their baby teeth (fortunately the adult teeth are looking good so far). Hopefully in Jonah, its just a bad batch of baby teeth and nothing more serious than that. He's a trooper, though!

Durham said...

Good luck Jonah. I had plenty of dental work when I was young so I can feel your pain! (And yours too Julie!)

The Salinas Family said...

Just reading about it made my mouth hurt. I'm feeling for the little guy...but he sounds brave! Good Luck.

Bryn said...

Yikes! So sad. Poor Jonah. Will the tooth fairy come and make it all better?

Anonymous said...

Ok all of a sudden you have like 6 posts that I haven't seen yet... where have I been? Poor Jonah! I need to get Jake into the dentist, but I am a little worried. We all know how freaked out I am about the dentist, so I tend to procrastinate.