Thursday, November 6, 2008

We Voted!


So I'm a few days late on this post, but I had to share it anyway.  

Tuesday the boys and I were on our way to pick David up from work so we could go and vote.  Jonah asked what we were doing and I said "we're gonna vote."  Of course he didn't really understand what voting was. I tried to explain that we go and say who we want to be president and then they see which person the most people wanted and he becomes president (or something like that in 5 year old language).   Then our conversation turned to this:

Jonah:  "Mom, I'm gonna be the president some day."

Me:  "That sounds cool."

Jonah:  "Wouldn't that be cool if Daddy was President?  Does Daddy want to be Presdient?"

Me:  "Mmm, I don't think Daddy wants to be president."

Jonah:  "Why not?"

Me:  "Because he wants to spend time with his boys, but if he's President, he won't have enough time."

Jonah:  "Oh, well my first day [as President] they'll have to show me what to do.  Do I have to dress handsome?"

Me: "Yep, you do."

Jonah:  "If you don't then you'll have to stay home for 25 days.  So if Daddy forgets, he can stay home for 25 days!  Isn't that cool!"

Me:  "Yes, but then he won't get paid.  Daddy goes to work so that he can make money for his family."

Jonah:  "Well then he'll just have to make sure he remembers!"

Cute boy.  So David and I went together to vote and we brought the kids along.  Jonah just thought it was the coolest thing.  He was so excited he made sure he stood in the booth with David, then me, then was ecstatic to get the "I voted" sticker at the end.  Who knows, maybe some day he will be on the ballot!

2 comments:

Steve and Sara said...

That is the best story ever. It is amazing what comes out of there mouths. I took Addyson and I was having a hard time explaining to her what voting was but then she just stopping asking me questions(I cant imagine Jonah just stop asking) Yes, I have a blog! I didnt want to tell you or anyone because I wanted to make it all cute but I might need your help. I will keep my fingers crossed for your trip. That would be so much fun.

Sandy said...

I'll vote for you, Jonah!:) Great story, Jules!