Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Our Life is a Crazy Adventure!

I guess its been a while since I wrote a real post, so here it goes. We've been up to a lot lately, so sorry for so much information all at once!

First of all Jaxon has taken a HUGE liking to Huggy Bear. For those of you who don't know, Huggy Bear was my bear - I've had him since I think I was born.  I hugged him a lot, hence the name "Huggy Bear."  Now Jaxy just loves him so much-its been his little buddy when its time for bed.

The other day our awesome landlord brought us over a bunch of fruit and tomatoes he picked and he surprised us with these eggs from his chickens.  Believe it or not fresh eggs really do taste better than store bought!  Jonah was so excited, that he actually snuck one, brought it outside, came back in and said "mommy, how do I hatch the egg and get a baby chick?"  He was pretty bummed to know there weren't baby chicks inside, but he was excited to eat them for breakfast.  When David came home he asked if he would build Jonah an "ink-er-bater" so he could have some baby chicks.

Friday morning we headed to Visalia (for less than 24 hours - Jonah was NOT happy!).  It was so nice because Jonah has been very nervous about going to school, but his cousin Gwen (who he keeps reminding me is younger than him) started school on Thursday, so while we were there Gwen came home from school and told Jonah (and Noah) ALL about kindergarten.  So when we got home, Jonah said "mom, when do I get to go to school?  I'm ready now...Gwen told me all about it."  Thank you Gwen!!!

Jaxon had lots of fun with his little buddy Collin.

Saturday we headed down to Burbank for the day.  We thought we'd go to the LA Zoo, but when we got there we found the parking lot was PACKED, so we drove down the street to the Travel Town Train Museum.  On our way, we were just about run over by a CHP, then by a fire engine.  When we rounded the corner to Travel Town, the road was blocked and there was a huge fire raging on the mountain.  Apparently the CHP & fire engine that just about ran us down were the first ones on the scene - no wonder they were in a hurry!  

The boys were so happy to see so many fire engines, but Jonah was a little nervous that the fire might turn and "eat us all up."  We were all pretty excited, though, when we watched the helicopter drop the fire retardant on the fire.  I've seen it from afar, but never this close - it was awesome!  The helicopter swooped down, then pulled up and kind of stalled in mid-air while it dropped the stuff.  It really put things in perspective when we saw the helicopter right next to those flames and the flames were way taller then it was!


Since they were evacuating the Train Museum as we pulled in and due to all of the smoke, we opted out of the zoo as well, so we went across the street to the Gene Autry Cowboy museum.  We never made it past the gift shop, though.  Jonah had a blast just checking out the memorabilia.


After the museum we headed down to more of our old stomping grounds.  We drove by our old apartment in Glendale (nothings changed in the neighborhood!), then headed down to none other than one of MY happy places...Ikea.  Since it was Saturday and it IS Ikea, it was packed and we only had an hour, so I didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have liked (maybe 4 or 5 hours would have sufficed), but I did manage to leave with a few goodies.  Jonah got a new spider lamp for his superhero room, I got some door mats, and David got a big shoe horn...woo-hoo...AND our scrumptious, delicious Almondy Daim Torte was out of stock!  Stinky poo!  But I did walk away with some Daim candies, so I guess I'll be okay for now.  And Jonah HAD to get a hot dog for old times sake!

After Ikea we headed over to PF Changs.  We don't have one close, so it was kind of a treat to go there again.  The boys REALLY liked the giant Chinese horses (Jonah doesn't remember going there before - its been over 2 1/2 years now since we lived there, if you can believe it.)  Jonah got a kick out of all the statues and paintings of Chinese people "like on Mulan!"

Jonah was a little nervous at first to go under the horse, 'cause he was afraid the horse would poop on his head!  Funny boy!


At PF Changs they give us these weird wax sticks, so Jonah made a big wax ball, then attached chop sticks and it became a man!


Monday the boys and I went and picked a bunch of plums (we're hoping to make jam this week!).  When we got back to the house, I put the bucket of plums down for a minute.  When I got back I found this little stinker helping himself to the plums!


Jonah wants everyone to know that he got his teacher assignment for kindergarten in the mail today!  Only a few more days of summer left!

Tonight the boys and I went down to pick berries, but since it looked like it was going to rain, we drove down.  So since we took the car, I didn't have our wagon, so I had to hold Jaxon so he wouldn't run into the thorny berry bushes.  As I'd put a berry in the bucket, he'd take it out and put it in his mouth.  Lets just say I picked a bucket full of berries, but when I was done it was less then 1/2 full...that little sneaker!  As we arrived home, I found that Jonah had locked all 3 doors and I had no key!.  Of course all the windows were shut and locked, too.  Luckily our landlord lives right next door, he was home and he had a spare key.  Just one more fun adventure in the life of us!  

1 comment:

Wes and Jess said...

Hey Julie, how lucky to get fresh eggs! Your boys are getting big and oh so cute. About the olympics, I have hardly gotten to watch them anyway since they are all during the night. I get most of it on the internet anyway.BTW, good move on the food blog, I put the link on my site and will contribute sooner or later.
Maybe chocolate chewies:)