Every year we trade off with which side of the family we spend Christmas with. We're pretty religious about it - we haven't faltered yet :) Well this year was the Radmacher side's turn to be blessed by our presence and they all decided to gather in Utah. David's older sister and older brother and their families moved back there this last year, so we all (all 12 adults and 14 grand kids) stayed at David's sister's house. It was nice and big enough to accommodate us all very nicely. David's gone back to Utah a few times since we moved from there (about 6 or 7 years ago), but I haven't been back for probably 4 or 5 years. Its been a while! I'm bummed that I didn't get to see any of our friends living in Utah (sorry everyone...we'll have to come again!), but we had a great time with all of our family!
The boys did SO good on the drives there and back. Really we were shocked! We didn't even whip out the DVD player until we were an hour away (that's like 11 hours later)! Jonah was SO excited to see "his boys" (David's older sister has 6 boys and all the cousins think that they are "their boys"). Jaxon was SO excited to build "Frosty the Snowman!"
Please bare with me, this is the longest post EVER!!!
As soon as we got to Utah, Jax got geared up and headed into the snow. He was like a magnet to the stuff! And of course he didn't really play in it, he just ate it.


What would be a Radmacher gathering without a little jam? (That's Landon on the drums!)


These two (Noah & Addyson) were the best groupies EVER! You should have seen them bustin' the moves!

Wednesday the guys and girls kind of split up. The girls went to this cute little boutique called Dear Lizzie in Highland. It was super cute, but really the highlight for me there was their tomato bisque. Oh man, it was something tasty I tell ya! It was so good I even bought more to take home to David (he really enjoys good soups...well good food for that matter!). While the girls were away, the guys took all the kids to play in the snow.
It started out fun...

but the fun ended quickly with my poor California boys freezing their tails off!

But not before Jaxon made his "Frosty the Snowman!"

Thankfully Uncle Nick saved the day and showed up with some snow pants for my boys, then they were able to enjoy the rest of the day in the snow.
That night we all headed to one of mine and David's absolute favorite restaurants of all times....La Dulce Vita in Provo. Oh my mouth waters just thinking about it. I love it so! Its a simple Italian restaurant and I really don't know how good the rest of the menu is, but their Pasta Grate is absolutely to die for! I love it almost as much as my husband. Seriously, its that yummy to me. I love it so much that I ordered just that, then had them make me a whole other order to go so I could have it the next day for lunch. David and everyone else like the Cannelloni with a side of Pasta Grate. That's okay, but I'm a pure grate fan! (So do you get I like it a lot?)
(the Weibell clan)

(the Chandlers)

(Ma & Papa and the DJ/Rachel clan)

After dinner we all headed up to Salt Lake City to check out the Christmas lights at Temple Square. They were gorgeous as always. The crowd was crazy huge, but it was still neat to see none the less. My boys loved it and its been forever since David and I had seen them (probably since before we were married!), so it was good to have gone.
Jonah was Heidi's little buddy all night.


I think the temple looks even more beautiful at night!

Here we all are (minus Matt's family-they hadn't made it yet) in the old tabernacle.

Of course the kids had to find a pile of snow to play in :)

Our attempt at a family picture...Jaxon wanted to play in the snow! (Can you sort of see my baby bump?)

I especially liked the manger scene on the water with the floating lights and the reflection of the temple to the side!

Christmas Eve was jammed packed with fun. The younger kids started off by decorating cookies for Santa.

I think more frosting was eaten than actually made it on the cookies!

Nick and Heidi made some awesome shrimp tacos for dinner. I'm not a shrimp fan, but these tacos were stinkin' good!! After dinner the kids all got to open their presents from Ma & Papa.


Can you believe how big these boys are getting? They're so old! I have teenagers for nephews...when did that happen?

Oh, and I forgot to mention the best surprise of all! We were all bummed because Matt & Melinda and their family weren't going to be able to make it for Christmas. But Matt got off work a day early, so they jumped in the car Wednesday night, drove all night (10 or so hours!) and surprised us all Christmas Eve morning when they showed up at the doorstep! It was such a great surprise! I'm so glad that they were able to make it!

Jake was the cutest in his knight getup from Ma & Papa!

Collin & Jaxon both got Toy Story figurines. I caught them playing Woody & Buzz together!

Sara (uh-um) decided to start a new family tradition...a talent show. I guess they do it on Steve's side of the family and its so fun, so she wanted us all to try it. I'd have to say none of us were real thrilled, but it turned out really fun.
Here's Jonah getting ready for his talent. He wanted to dress up like a rock star with rock star hair and everything.

Ma started us off with a beautiful Christmas number on the piano.

We all joined in at the end with Gwen and Addyson leading us in a few Christmas carols.

Next the Weibell boys sang a song, then danced a Kung Fu number for us. They all did awesome.

Next was Matt & Melinda. Oh man, they were the funniest all night! Who knows what they were dressed as, but they did a routine to the Nutcracker. All I can say is their outfits were only the icing on the cake - they were a riot!

Gwen did a ballet solo to the Nutcracker, then Collin marched around with a sword, humming the march song in the Nutcracker - both very adorable!

Addyson (with Sara's help) sang the 12 days of Christmas - she's such a doll!

And Steve recited the most awesome, funny poem he made up about having Christmas with the Radmachers (maybe later I'll have to post it!).

DJ & Rachel danced the evolution of dance. Rachel sure can bust a move and DJ...well he was fun-ny!

For our family's talent, David accompanied Jonah in a song. At first he was a little shy...

So he sat on David's lap and off he went. As David played, Jonah made up a song right there on the spot. It was great! I'm so proud of him - he was so nervous, but he pulled it off indefinitely!

Last of the night was the Nativity. Can you tell we're all a bunch of proud, technical savy parents? ;)

The kids did great and DJ was a sport (they needed 1 more wise man, so he volunteered).

For Christmas Eve, all the grand kids slept in Heidi's big awesome playroom upstairs. Jonah was so excited for Santa to come that he said, "Everyone, please be quiet and turn the lights off so I can go to sleep!" Wow, that's never happened before!



Nick read the kids a story (or 2 or 3) to settle them all down before bed.

Christmas morning finally arrived! (oo, do you see how good my stockings turned out? I still have mine to finish and now the baby's)

First off they opened their stockings. Santa brought some really great stuff like bandaids, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss. Way to go Santa! Okay, he brought a few little toys and goodies too, but really my kids were stoked about the hygiene stuff.

Santa brought Jonah this science kit he's really been wanting. He is such a scientist! Ma & Papa gave him a metal detector and Addyson gave him a microscope and crystal digging kit.

Santa brought Jaxon Diego's rescue pack, which he loved, but he was most excited about our present to him...Jesse from Toy Story! Now he pretty much has the whole set!

This was the highlight of Christmas for us...Jonah FINALLY got his DS! He has been asking since he started kindergarten last year (and actually learned from his friends what it was). So he's been asking for a DS for a year and 1/2 now. This was definitely a gift from us (we know how to work it...Santa gives cool things, but Mom & Dad bring cooler stuff!) :) We made him wait to open this one until the very last. I wrapped the DS & 2 games in this big box. Jonah unwrapped it and said disappointedly, "What's this?" We just told him to open the box. Bummed, he pulled out a bunch of plastic bags (for stuffing), then the loot. Oh my word, he was SO excited! He was shaking he couldn't believe it. He gave us both HUGE hugs and said, "This is the BEST Christmas EVER!" That made it all worth it!

Jaxy got a puppy for Christmas! Just my kind of pet!

After presents, the kids went out for more fun in the snow. Here's Jonah & Jakey cruisin'.

Jonah & Jakey sledding
Later we gathered everyone back up for cousin and family gift exchanges. Heidi (well technically the boys, but we all know Heidi was the mastermind) got Gwen some new clothes. As Ma said, she went from age 6 to 13 in one wardrobe change! Do they make this outfit in big girls sizes? :) So cute, Gweny!
All of us pitched in and got Ma & Papa (ok, mainly Ma...) a beautiful painting of Christ. They were SO surprised and happy! We love you Ma & Papa!

Dylie, Jakey, and Jaxy hiding under the fish tank. Aren't they too cute?
Ping pong was a hot activity the entire week. One night a bunch of the adults and older kids played musical ping pong (I don't know what its really called). It was funny to watch! I think Steve is the reining champ (sorry David)!
A definite highlight of the entire trip was meeting this little guy...Milo...David's older sister Heidi's sixth son! He's definitely got Radmacher blood in him! I think he looks the most like his mom and his oldest brother Joseph. He's even got David's weird hairlines (funky cowlicks and low forehead)...so he must be related!
We all just loved him! He got us all excited for our little one to come!

Since most everyone on both sides of Nick & Heidi's family were in town, they decided to bless Milo before we all left (that's all the Radmacher men and all but I think 1 of the Weibell men).
Our last night in town we left the younger kids home with babysitters (thanks again Randi & Preston!!!) and headed to Tepanyakis in Provo. Its good food and very entertaining!


I am so grateful to have married into such a wonderful family. We all get along and have so much fun together! We had such a fun trip! We're glad to be back in sunny California where the weather is above 10°...okay, its above 65°...but we sure miss all of you! Can't wait to do it again soon!
We hope you all had a fun, safe, wonderful holiday!
Merry Christmas!




6 comments:
what an out of control christmas with all the Radmachers! I can only imagine how much fun it was!
Looks like you guys had a GREAT time!Next year, come to OUR house!
Looks like everyone had a great time!! I think we should try the talent show idea at our house next year!:)
I think it must be the age about eating snow. My youngest was all about eating snow with this last snow storm. What a fun Christmas. Its so fun when family can get together and its nothing but fun, fun, fun!
That was so much fun to read!!! I think I need to get going and post Christmas now. It was a fun week with wonderful people. I really love having you in our family! I think so highly of you and your family. I love you girl!
Very fun, Julie. My kids have never seen the snow. We need a white Christmas one of these years!
Post a Comment