For the most part David, Jaxon, and I are over our sicknesses. We all still have that lingering stuffy nose and cloudy head, but we're functional and thats what's important. Jonah managed to stay healthy...up until Friday. He woke up with a bad headache and went downhill from there. He seems to be doing better, but I'm keeping him home from school a couple days until he's well enough.

Saturday David had some work he had to do in Guadalupe, so the boys and I thought we'd go along. We lived in Guada for 2 years...there were things I love about it and things I definitely DO NOT like about it. I kind of forget about it until I go there...I LOVE these:
Guada really has so much rich history, but I never really had much interest in it...I was too busy. We did research the theater a bit when we first moved in, but up until now...nothing else. So since we moved into this new building and we have SO much renovating to do, I thought I'd do a little research on the building. All we knew was that it was built in 1894, was originally a mercantile shop, used to have cool tunnels all over the city - one in which went from our building down to the beach to the Asian work camps (but is now sealed off, but we still have the entrance), used to be a roller rink, then a Music venue upstairs for rock 'n' roll bands and a Jazz night club in the basement, then was in the process of being turned into an art gallery before the owner died, therefore allowing us to take over.
So where am I going with this? Well I wanted to go back to its roots and find out as much as possible about the buildings beginnings. So I did a lot of research on the internet and found out all about the original owner. So while David worked, the boys and I did some research in town. We first visited the Guada Cemetary. First off, isn't this a spooky gravestone? It even has the creepy rusty metal fence around it.
This is something I LOVE about Guada...the cemetary is on the main road, so every time we'd drive to town, we'd pass these beautiful monuments.
And here it is, the family grave marker for our man, the founder of our building! He and all of his family lay to rest right here.
Jonah is so cute...he LOVES science and history! He really enjoyed the cemetery. He was so excited to see the old graves and hear the people's names and when they were alive and he especially liked when there were pictures on the gravestones.
So after the cemetary we went down to the Guada Historical Society. As soon as we walked in the door, there were pictures and information our new building. Jonah and I were SO excited, but of course 5 minutes into it Jaxon was ready for a nap and was freaking out, so we had to leave. But we did get pictures of these 2 originals from back in 1894 (Its the big one on the right...yup, its THAT big and it even has a basement!)
Since we still had some time to kill until David was done and Jax needed to take a nap, we went for a drive out to Pt. Sal. Oh my word, it is SO gorgeous out there this time of year...well all year, but especially right now. There were wildflowers everywhere and the wheat grass was waste-high and super green, as were the fields everywhere. So beautiful!









No comments:
Post a Comment