Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Bit of Help...Please!

In the midst of my Spring Cleaning, I've decided I need to do some major changes to our house.  Not changes like remodeling or anything (although this house definitely could use some sprucing up), because we don't own our home...we're measly renters.  And I can't really do much rearranging, because our house is built real awkward and we can only FIT our furniture ONE way.  It just needs to be styled.  I know what I like, but I'm kind of stumped right now and  I just can't seem to find the inspiration I'm looking for.  You know its a lot easier to change things up when you've got the cash to do it, but since this isn't the case, I need some help...

So far the boys room is pretty much as done as its gonna get for now (just need to sew 1 more curtain, which will only take 5 minutes if I ever actually get around to doing it!).  Jonah chose a Superhero theme...as you can definitely tell by the pictures below (fyi-Batman's head is now fixed - he isn't stuck in a slump any longer!).


The bathroom is at the point that I don't really care about doing much more to it right now (other than sew some curtains).  It's my cowboy room (yes, I did this BEFORE we moved out here and I decided being a country girl was the thing for me!).


I know exactly what I want to do in our mudroom (aka craft room / play room).  I want this desk or something like it:


But since it's like $1100 (Target has one for $500, but it's not as cool, plus I don't have $500), I know I can make one for way cheap if I ever actually got around to doing it.

For the kids toys I want something like this (but with white and red containers only):

I definitely need help on my dining room.

I'm not too concerned about the living room right now.

Where I'm really stumped is our bedroom.  I need inspiration!  I have ideas, but need more.  I've been searching and searching, but still haven't found what I want.  I'm good at taking a little from here and a little from there.  I really hate copying an entire room from a magazine...I'm not a "bed in a bag" or the Pottery Barn copycat type...but I just don't know what I want either.

Sooooo...If any of you have any good online references (other than PB, Ikea, Target, BHG, DWR, West Elm...you know, the norm) PLEASE fill me in...blogs, anything...I need all the help I can get!  I really have no budget (meaning very limited funds), but I'm real good at using what I have and/or finding/making something similar.  My style is...I don't know, I'm kind of skitsofrenick when it comes to home styles...I like a mix, but mainly contemporary...more modern than my parents, but not as modern as a trendy New York loft.  But really ANYTHING at this point will help...give me whatcha got!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 comments:

Wes and Jess said...

Hey Julie! Your ideas are great. If you like a modern look try freshome.com You can get a platform bed at ikea for pretty cheap which can change it up. New paint can go a long way, even finding old furniture to paint can be fun. Hgtv.com is good, ikea.com. You could also find a fabric you like and put it over a corkboard to pin stuff up for some new color or patterns, print out some fun pictures and frame them,etc etc. Wish I was closer and I'd come help!

Sandy said...

The kids' room and bathroom look great! I want to see pictures of the whole room, though:)

I am in the process of doing the same thing - the living room/dining room/kitchen are 1/2 done...I got the bedding in my room on the bed - ands that's it - no paint, not even a headboard yet! I recently ran across this website: http://photos.ivillage.com/home/inspirationsgallery/
Fun to look through and get some ideas. I'm currently in the process of putting vinyl wall words up. I think I probably have too many...but since they peel right off, its not a big deal! That might be something to consider - it won't damage the paint or walls underneath and you can take them with you and reuse them when you move. I just cut out my own my cricut - let me know if you want me to cut you some!

I bet you could find some pretty cheap furniture like the pictures you showed for the craft/mud room and the boys' room at IKEA (check the clearance/scratch and dent room). That's the new "it" source for full fledged scrapbooking rooms these days. I just like that all their stuff is melamine, so it washes up nice!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do - and I will probably steal some ideas, since I am STUCK right now as well!