Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patty's Day!

So I've been wondering, why exactly do we celebrate St. Patrick's day?  I mean, I'm not really Irish (although I'm a mut and I think there's some Irish blood in me somewhere...sorry mom, I don't know all my genealogy very well) and I don't drink beer, which seems to be a St. Patrick's day must and I'm not Catholic (although this really isn't a Catholic holiday).  I always seem to be the one who forgets to wear green and gets pinched all day long (I DID remember this year and I won't let that happen to my kids!).  All of the other holidays totally make sense to me, but not this one.  It makes sense if I lived in Ireland or if I were more than .05% Irish.  I even did my research today to see what it was all about...you can go to my food blog to see what I learned...and I still can't really see the connection other than there were lots of Irish immigrants who came to the US who brought it over.  So, I guess I'll just have to go with the sole fact that its just fun to have celebrations and to be aware of other cultures and to commemorate the good in people.  I like cabbage and potatoes, I like the color green, and I'm always for an excuse to do something extra special for my kiddos, so I guess I can't really complain!  (If any of you can enlighten me, please feel free to do so!)

Anyway, we had some fun with it this year.  Jonah woke up happy and bright eyed (which is not usual for him) and said, "Did they come?"  And I said, "Who?"  He said "The Leprechauns!"  Well I guess it was a good thing I left a surprise out for him!  He would be pretty heartbroken if they didn't come.  So Jonah started the morning off with his bucket o' green, gold, and rainbows.   Jax liked it all, but was really excited about the 2 gold coins in his bucket, or "Thaxthy's (aka Jaxy's) money."


While feasting on green eggs for breakfast, Jonah explained all about who Leprechauns are.  He said that they work for Sinta Klaus.  When I said, "Oh, are they elves?"  He said, "No, not Santa, SINTA Klaus!"  And he went on to tell me all about how fast Sinta Klaus is and his helpers and how Leprechauns just do stuff for him.  He seemed to really know what he was talking about!

I was gonna make some bread and dye it green so Jonah could have a green sandwich for lunch, but I forgot, so that didn't happen, but I DID make a delicious Irish feast for dinner.  You can read all about it over at my food blog.  


And we had a yummy dessert of Leprechaun Pudding (Pistacio pudding w/homemade whip cream) and Shamrock Balls...mmm (seriously, curses to Bakerella...her stuff is too irresistable...she's gonna be the death of me...or at least the cause of the 10 pounds I'll gain eating these stinkin' delicious treats!).

So I guess I've learned after all why we celebrate St. Patrick's Day...for the pure fun of it! 

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you all!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

One very lousy thing about living in the middle of nowhere like I do is that when it suddenly occurs to me late the night of March 16th that I really should do something fun for St. Patrick's Day...its too late and I'm too far away from any stores to do anything about it! Then on St. Patty's day itself, I'd have to drag all the kids with me to the store anyway which totally ruins the surprise. So yeah, we were St. Patrick's Day bums this year! All we did was make shamrocks with notes on them and stick them to the inside of Jake's truck while he was at work - so we WERE the leprechauns, I guess:) You're so cute with your holiday funness...next time how about posting your cute ideas BEFORE the holiday so I can remember to copy you???!!!