Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Weekend

We had an eventful weekend.  Thursday David's parents came to town for a visit.  My poor mother-in-law shattered her kneecap 2 weeks ago, had surgery on the moosh of a bone she had left, and is now trying her darnedest to recoop, all the while not being able to bend her knee for 4 weeks.  Poor thing!  She was a real trooper - we did some shopping while she scooted around in those old people scooters - Jonah loved it and it made things easier for her, but I know she'd much rather be walking.  I'll tell ya though, next time I'm big-o pregnant, I'm gonna use one! :)  While us girls and the little boys hung out, David and his dad did some recording and had a great time doing so.  Its not every day that a father and son get to work on music together!  

Friday night we had a nice dinner together.  David's aunt and uncle were also in town for the weekend, so we made a party of it.  We had lots of fun and many laughs.  Thanks for coming over everyone!  (And thank you Uncle Burt for sharpening my knife!)


Saturday David's parents went home and I was off down south, while the boys were left alone to play.  David took them to the beach where they all saw who would get the most wet.  I, on the other hand, was perfectly dry at a RS conference down south.  We were privileged to hear Julie Beck (the General RS President) speak.  I'll be perfectly honest, I was dreading going.  Saturdays are the only day we have to completely spend together as a family and I really need that each week.  So I went with somewhat of a stinky attitude, but was so glad that I went.  She was a wonderful speaker - a REAL woman - a woman with a family and problems and stresses and worries just like me.  A lot of times I think that I'm doing too much, but yet still not doing enough.  I worry that I don't do my part to spread the word of Christ, or help those around me in need or that I don't do my visiting teaching just right or do enough in my community.  But she reassured me that my responsibility is in the home with my children, teaching them what is right and wrong, teaching them about Christ and their Heavenly Father and His gospel, teaching them to be loving, righteous people.  And if those other things happen, then they happen and horray for me and when my children are old enough, I can do all of those things, but my main focus needs to be on my family.  I was lucky enough to go to a leadership meeting afterward where she spoke.  I wish that all of you women could have participated in both meetings - it really was spiritually and emotionally uplifting!

After my Saturday high, I came home appreciating my family more and had a great night hanging out with old friends.  Sunday was a sad day, though, my crockpot broke into a million pieces :(  So sad.  But we met with some other friends that night for dinner and I ate some of the most amazing meat ever, so all my sadness went away (well at least until I go to use my crockpot again).

So this was definitely one of those posts that probably bored you to tears (sorry 'bout that!), but for memory sake, I had to write it all down for my own self.  Thanks for baring with me!  Hope you all have a great week!

1 comment:

The Salinas Family said...

I'm with you on the thinking that we do a lot as mothers but still feel we should be doing more. That was great advice Sis Beck had and thanks for sharing it. It made me not feel as bad too!