Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Spring is In the Air!

I didn't mention in this post that I don't believe the groundhog! In fact he's wrong most of the time in our neck of the woods. We have been enjoying the most delightful weather, which according to the Weather Channel, will shortly come to a hault...well for a little bit at least (we're expecting rain, which is okay by me - it only makes things greener!). Yesterday the boys and I had the most wonderful adventure together. We took a walk around the property, visited the animals, picked some fruit, and did a little playing, too. My kids were so well behaved, David came home earlier then usual (well 7:30ish, which is pretty good!) and I made the best burrito ever (really!)! Oh, how I wish everyday could be like yesterday!

On our walk, or rather our adventure, we discovered all sorts of springtime beauties (and the groundhog says 6 more weeks of winter...really?).  Our property is covered in a blanket of green and blossoms are popping up every which way (our apricot and 1 of our apple trees are blooming!).


We had a great time picking fruit (fyi, the best way to pick citrus is to twist the fruit off -that way you don't take the whole branch with you!)  All of our citrus trees are just covered in lemons, oranges, grapefruit, and limes.  We discovered a clementine tree (or a Cutie tree as we like to call it) and a tree full of giant mandarins.  We get citrus pretty much all year long, but we've been on a hiatus - every now and then the fruit goes away, re-blooms, then pops up again.  Mmm, I love fresh fruit, especially fresh lemonade and orange juice!  Oh, I think I'll go make some right now! (you can see how many citrus trees we have and that's only 1/2 of them!)


I wasn't kidding, I just had the most wonderful o.j.!  Mmm (are you jealous yet?).  While we were picking, some of the cows came up to visit (and get a drink).  We discovered a huge gold fish (or perhaps its a coy fish, I don't know) swimming around in the cows' water trough...weird, I know, but the kids got a kick out of it.  Jaxon kept trying to kiss the cows and got really excited when one of them actually came up with his face close enough to actually get a kiss - bleck!  Jonah went up to one and said, "Ew, she smells like poo!  I'm so glad I'm not a cow, cause they dont' get to use the toilet or wipe their bum or take showers - yuck!"  They can be pretty stinky and dirty, but I still love having cows around!


Once we got back up to our front yard, the boys had fun playing on the swings, climbing trees, and collecting rocks...a day in the life of a boy!  Oh, and yes, that's a strawberry in Jaxon's hand...yet another perk to living here on the Central Coast - we get fresh strawberries pretty much all year long!  (We're one of the largest strawberry producers in America, second I think only to Watsonville!)


What a fun day! 
 (If you hadn't noticed already from looking at my blog, I like to take pictures!)

1 comment:

Kelly said...

You are so good at photography and photoshop! I wish you could teach me.

I love where you lives. My kids would go crazy there!