Thursday, February 26, 2009

Weekend Getaway

This past weekend David and I got to get away for a night.  Our stake was having their Saturday Stake Conference meeting in the chapel of the temple instead of the usual stake center, so we took that as an opportunity to spend some time together, just the 2 of us.  My parents were so gracious as to watch the boys (a definite perk to living close to family!).  

On our way down to L.A., we noticed an odd occurrence here on the Central Coast...snow on the mountains!  Its been so rainy that we didn't even notice that it snowed on our mountains!  (I guess they're actually Santa Barbara's mountains, but we can see them, so they're ours too!)


We discovered a very odd vehicle on our drive.  I don't know what the heck this thing was...if you're clued in, please share!  It was seriously a tank!  It had 2 gas tanks, 1 window that had a metal covering on it, and it was built to withstand a missile attack...really!  The weirdest thing was that every time we came close to it, our radio and phones would go all crazy...hmm.  If it weren't for the fact that it was an old cowboy-lookin' grandpa with a long twirly mustache with Minnesota plates, then I would most definitely think it was some kind of government or terrorist vehicle.  Okay, I just checked it out and look here...it makes this thing even weirder (and they cost like $150 - 200 grand!)!  So they're not terrorists or government agents, they're just extreme conspiracists or something.


Friday afternoon we drove down to LA (unfortunately we didn't beat the traffic!) and stayed in the apartments on the temple grounds (they're awesome - so cheap and a couple steps from the temple!).  We went exploring around LA for a while - mainly around UCLA (or is it USC?  No I think UCLA).  They have this cute little downtowny area there.  We ate at the Bombay Bite (Indian food), which was absolutely yummy!  Their Mango Lassi's are to drool over!


Check out the views from our apartment window - isn't it gorgeous?


I never really realize how exhausted I really am in my life until I don't have my kids, then I crash.  I literally couldn't keep my eyes open when we got back and fell asleep at like 9 - that NEVER happens!  Unfortunately, though I was woken up at like 5:45 by somebody's kids running around outside (who lets their kids out to play so early?  Is it even light outside then?), which made for a longer day.  We had a very nice day, though.  We hung out a bit, then went to the temple and were there for like 5 hours or so.  It was really nice, but draining (hard to sit so much!), none the less.  When we finally got home, I was even more exhausted, but so glad that we got the change to go!  Thanks mom, dad, & carina again for watching the boys!

2 comments:

Kristen Borland said...

whoa! crazy! that is one intense rv!! i checked out the link too. i guess it's cheaper than a house!

Sandy said...

What a great date! I'm glad you guys got some time away - and that you got to do something worthwhile! Jake and I usually have to go shopping when we get a night off!

I showed Jake that tank thing - he said he saw one on an "Extreme RV" show. The fact that your radio and phone didn't work near it is a little creepy, though...