I hate politics. I think its dirty and corrupt. Therefore I try to stay out of it as much as possible (unlike my husband who LOVES politics and debating). I'm not naive, I am well informed, but I just don't like it. I wasn't going to post anything about it, but I just felt like I should voice my beliefs/concerns with those I care about. As many of you may know, there's been a debate in California whether or not people who are gay should have the right to marry or not. In 2000 California voted on this issue resulting in 61% of the people voting against gay marriage. Just recently 4 CA judges overturned this, saying that it was unconstitutional. Now we are coming up on voting day again and it again is an issue. Therefore Prop 8 was created, saying that marriage should only be recognized between a man and a woman.
Prop 8 will do 3 things:
So what is my view on all of this? Hmm. Well first off I do not agree with the gay/lesbian lifestyle. This does not however mean that I am homophobic, discriminate, or living in the dark ages...I'm far from any of those. I do not believe that gay people (or anyone for that matter) should be discriminated against. In saying that, though, I do support Prop 8, which keeps marriage between a man and a woman. I believe that Prop 8 has been misunderstood. Since I'm not good with words, I'll just quote from protectmarriage.com:
"Proposition 8 is about preserving marriage; it’s not an attack on the gay lifestyle. Proposition 8 doesn’t take away any rights or benefits of gay or lesbian domestic partnerships. Under California law, “domestic partners shall have the same rights, protections, and benefits” as married spouses. (Family Code § 297.5.) There are NO exceptions. Proposition 8 WILL NOT change this."
- It restores the definition of marriage to what the vast majority of California voters already approved and what Californians agree should be supported, not undermined.
- It overturns the outrageous decision of four activist Supreme Court judges who ignored the will of the people.
- It protects our children from being taught in public schools that “same-sex marriage” is the same as traditional marriage, and prevents other consequences to Californians who will be forced to not just be tolerant of gay lifestyles, but face mandatory compliance regardless of their personal beliefs.
I encourage you to research this yourself and not just make a decision because you are liberal or conservative, democrat or republican. This is an important issue that will effect everyone!



3 comments:
Someone once said: "You either stand for something or you'll fall for anything at all"....I'm glad you stand for something! :) I, too, am not fond of politics per se and the ensuing climate, but this issue is extremely important and will affect generations to come. I would also urge folks to really understand the ramifications and far reaching effects of this issue....a 'yes' vote simply returns the law to it's previous wording that defines marriage between one man and one woman (laws protecting domestic partnerships are already in place)...a 'no' vote changes more than just the wording....
including but not limited to-- what children are taught in school, individual rights regarding personal religious beliefs, etc.---things which have already taken place in Mass. and now here in Calif. since the overturn. Interesting too that is the one thing that I know about that both major pres. candidates and their running mates agree on--that marriage is defined as being between a man and a woman....
Thank you for sharing! love, mom :)
I'm glad you're standing up for what you believe. I'm not in CA, and I doubt WY will be on the forefront of this debate...but I'll still chime in:)
Watching this unfold from afar, I wonder how many people will vote against it in an attempt to be politically correct or because they don't want to be prejudiced, bigoted, or whatever without bothering to really understand it. For example, in the religion I CHOOSE to belong to, marriage is only performed between a man and a woman, meeting legal and moral requirements. What's to stop people from suing or otherwise trying to legally interfere with that if this proposition is turned down? Would the courts try to force religions to change their doctorine to accomodate those who don't meet this criteria? I mean seriously- this could have far more reaching affects than I think most people realize. And as a mother, I don't want schools discussing ANY type of sexuality (except "good touch/bad touch") with my elementary aged child. I don't see any good reason for my daughter to be "learning" about heterosexual OR homosexual marriage in her elementary school classroom. That's my job!
Anyway. I have plenty of friends that don't agree with me, as I'm sure you do. But hopefully even those that don't agree will respect that you can have a different opinion, too!
Well said Julie. I wholeheartedly agree. I have many gay friends and even though this issue is hard, we have to take a stand. I believe in protecting marriage as well. Thanks for writing such a well written, and thoughtful piece on your feelings. :)
Post a Comment