Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School!

Today was Jonah's first day of Kindergarden.  I still can't believe my baby is old enough for school.  I have now joined the ranks of parents with school-aged children...Yikes! 

Last night Jonah picked out what clothes he wanted to wear for the first day of school and he placed them all out how they should be...he even put the underwear under the pants, the socks under the shoes, and then (which is not pictured) put a doll under the shirt so his clothes would have a head so he could see how it all would look.  My kid certainly has a creative imagination!

 Jonah was so funny this morning...his alarm went off at 8am (yes, we're lucky school doesn't start until 9!) and he said, "Mom, I'm not ready to wake up yet.  If I wake up I'll be cranky all day!"  So I said "5 more minutes."  His reply was "how 'bout 10 more minutes!"  That sneaky little boy!

He wanted everyone to see his new Transformers backpack.

We arrived at school and checked everything out (of course the playground first).  Then all the kindergardeners and their parents met in the multipurpose room.  Jonah was very nervous and shy and didn't want to leave my side, even when all the kids went and sat in the front.  But as soon as we went to his classroom and he got to do a project (which he always loves!), he was fine.  When it was time for me to go, he was totally fine.  He's still a little timid about making friends, but he loves his teacher and is glad she has an easy name, "Mrs. Angell."

So when I picked Jonah up from school today, he was so happy and excited about school.  He said he made a friend who saved him - he almost fell off the bars and his new friend grabbed him before he fell.  He learned about the 5 Senses and he even named them all for me (good memory!).  And they had a puppet show, but only his teacher could touch the puppets.  That's all I could get out of him...he said he just couldn't remember any more and to not ask him anymore...oh and could I tell Daddy about his day because he just wouldn't remember again.  Funny boy!  He said that he really likes his teacher, that she is the nicest teacher in the whole school and that's why her name is Miss Angell, because she's so nice like an angel...cute!  Then he asked me if he could bring a dollar to school every day because "They have CHOCOLATE milk!!!"  What ever happened to the good ol' days of free milk for kindergardeners?  

Its such a relief that the day went good!  I just hope it lasts!  Way to go Jonah!!!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Yay - so glad you posted early in the day - we've been checking!! Jonah looks SO grown up - laying out the outfit with the doll for a head totally cracked me up! And yes, he is very lucky school doesn't start until 9...KJ has to catch the bus at 7:45, so NONE of us get to sleep in!

Well, I don't care if Jonah doesn't want to tell YOU more about his day, I'm going to call and ask him myself later!

By the way...super cool Transformers backpack:)

Sandy said...

And chocolate milk costs a BUCK a day? Does it come with a cookie, too?:) Yikes!

The Salinas Family said...

My Diego is starting school next tuesday and I'm getting anxious already. I'm glad that Jonah was able to leave your side and have a great day. Did you cry? I'm tempted to follow the bus to make sure he gets in the school! Can you tell he's my first going to school. By the time I get to the third kid I'm sure it won't bother me at all!
~Jodi

Ben & Carly said...

you too! though we are miles apart we are bonded over our babies going to school! I feel old too, weren't we in college just the other day?

gramma/mom said...

Too cute! :)
And by the way---milk was a quarter when you were in Kindergarten...but sometimes you would get chocolate as a "special treat" without having to pay extra :)

Sandy said...

Jules - I tried calling a couple times on Monday but didn't get through...tell Jonah we are so proud of him and hope he's having a great week!