Thursday, July 31, 2008

Berries, Berries, Berries!!!

Every day we go for a walk (or 2 or 3) around the property, checking out the animals and picking and of course eating fruit.  So yesterday we picked some lemons to make lemonade and a bunch of plums.  As we were walking to see the chickens, we passed one of the apple trees and found a fun little surprise...LOTS of yellow jackets.  Actually that's the downfall to having lots of fruit out in the country, but who can resist it?  Even yellow jackets know the goods when they see them :)

We decided we wanted to trek it down near the creek at the mountain base to pick berries.   Yep, we've got berries too and LOTS and LOTS of them!  There is actually a good sized plot on the way down that has tomatoes, artichokes, and raspberries, but the artichokes have gone to flower and the tomatoes and raspberries are not yet ripe.  We found 2 ripe raspberries and they were SO yummy!  So anyway, when we arrived at the black berries, I was shocked at how many there really were.

This picture doesn't even do it justice - you can probably only access maybe 15% of all the berries, because the bushes are so huge and you can't get to the other side or touch the tops and they go past the property on both sides - LOTS of berries!

Jonah's picking philosophy was eat about 20, THEN put 1 in the bucket.  I was surprised we still got quite a bit to bring home.

So do you think they like them or what???   Both of them ate berries the whole way home...when we got home their faces and hands were stained purple and the berries were 1/2 gone...oh well, we can always go back.

This has nothing to do with picking berries, but I had to add it.  Just about every time I look out the window, Jonah is sitting in this tree talking, thinking, picking pinecones - whatever - he LOVES this tree!

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Okay, that's it - I'm officially jealous. You live in paradise:)

Are you going to do any freezing or canning of your bounty?

(I'll trade you giant zucchini for berries and fruit!!)

The Salinas Family said...

How did you score this piece of property?!! What a fun place for the boys to explore everyday! I had to laugh at the pic of Jonah in the tree. My Diego would be there too. Like your sister, I'm officially jealous as well!