For starters I think we're finally over our sicknesses (I surely hope so at least!). Jonah had Spring Break the week after Easter, which was really nice for us because he was sick all the week before, so we actually got to have a little fun. The first few days we just relaxed and hung out around the house. It was nice not to have to be anywhere for a couple days at least.
Our first day of fun David went to work late so that we could all go to Avila Barn. It was great fun as always...we love Avila Barn...deep down I wish I had a farm in Avila Valley where I had a big awesome open-air market with lots of delicious produce and fun little gifts and hay rides for kids and stuff.
The boys fed the animals. Jax was SO enthusiastic...he ran from animal to animal jumping up and down. It was really funny. When we got to the ostriches, it snatched the food right out of his hand (I'm surprised it didn't take his finger with it)...he did NOT like that and wouldn't stand anywhere near them. The ostriches did, though, have TONS of eggs. They're HUGE and beautiful and they look so strong. If that's what their eggs look like, I can't imagine what a dinosaur egg would look like...I bet they're HUGE (I MUST be a mom of only boys, huh?)! We really liked the ducks with mohawks. David thought they looked like a crazy science professor or something.

Of course we had to go by their candy store. Jonah went to his corner and Jaxon went WILD! He was in candy heaven! He kept trying to open the candy display boxes...they don't open. He tried to grab just about every piece of candy in the store! He ended up with a box of mini jujubees (like the worst choice in the entire store!) because he stuck the box in his mouth and I only thought it right to buy it, rather than put it back. He didn't seem to mind, though.
Jonah was upset that there were only 2 hay barrels to climb on - normally there are a ton all in a square for the kids to run around on. He came to the conclusion that they must have needed them to feed the animals with...or something like that. Naturally Woody had to come along - wherever Jaxon goes, Woody is sure to follow. Unfortunately for him, he had to hitch a ride on David's belt...doesn't look so fun...sorry 'bout that Woody, if I'd only noticed earlier I would have turned you around so you would have got a better view of the farm!
The next night the boys got to go hang out with my sister Carina while I went to watch David play a show. It was accoustic, so I got to sit and relax. It was in a cool venue that's just now starting to get back into live performances, so they were really lucky to play there. David was incredible as always (would I expect any different?)!
The next day was BEAUTIFUL! The wind was nowhere in sight other than a slight breeze, the sun was shining, and the weather was perfect! It was too nice to waste, so the boys and I headed out to soak up some sun. Our yard was looking quite frumpy from all the wind. We had quite a few large tree branches, as well as sticks and leaves all over our yard. So we did a little Spring Cleaning outdoors too! We raked all the leaves and all the cut grass (and there was a LOT - our landlord hacked all the tall grass all around the property, so we went around and raked it). Jonah was such a hard worker! He loves yard work. He piled all the rocks for me, picked up sticks, and did a really good job raking the grass! When we were done the boys ran around in the sprinkler and shot water guns. Jax was so tired after a while that he fell asleep in his swing after 3 pushes!
Saturday was even more beautiful the day before, so we finally got our chance to go to the beach. It was so windy and cold all week. The boys had a blast as always. Jonah was busy digging giant holes and collecting shells, while Jaxon followed Jonah around. At one point Jonah was picking up shells and Jax was just running circles around Jonah. Jonah decided to make a sand angel, so naturally Jax followed.
On our way home from the beach we picked up a half flat of strawberries at Hyashi's market. Oh baby they were delicious! Jax is a fruit freak...he probably downed 80% of the box himself. In less than 24 hours the entire box was gone...think we like strawberries around here?
Sunday was the start of hot weather. And it was HOT. Should it really be 97° the week after Easter on the Central Coast? I don't think so! Well we had a special surprise down at the pasture, so we had to go check it out, undies and all (I LOVE how Jonah uses his undies as a gun holster...too cute!).
Our special surprise in the pasture were new baby cows! What a fun spring surprise! It was bitter-sweet, though. There were 4 cows that were birthed within just days of each other, but only 2 babies and their mamas made it. Unfortunately the 2 moms and their calves that died gave birth to REALLY BIG babies that were breech. The first, our landlord said, would have made it if he were around to help it, but the other calf was just so HUGE...he said he's never seen a calf as big as that one...the mom and baby really never had a chance. It made me so sad. BUT we are SO happy to have the 2 that did survive. They are SO precious! The black one is so tiny. They both sit in the grass a lot, so it's hard to get a glimpse of them.
They finally got up to nurse and do other stuff (unfortunately I got the red calf at the wrong time!), so we got a little peak. They're still really weary of us.
Yummy things are starting to sprout up around here. There's a ton of artichokes and the apricots are almost ready...I can't wait! The garden is planted and we are already anxious to harvest it in the late summer and fall!













3 comments:
Oh my gosh, Jonah is so handsome! In your set of beach pics, the one of him in the top left corner (black & white) he looks like he could be one of those child Ralph Lauren models or something! He's got a very "soulful" face.
I am DYING laughing over here at cute Jonah and his skinny legs and gun holster tidy whities. That is seriously the greatest thing I've seen all day:)
Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks! We're planning on coming out and visiting your "farm"!
i'm trying to catch up on blogs. i'm loving all the pictures in your recent posts! oh how i love my little kiddo in his undies too. there's nothin' cuter!
baby cows!! still so jealous of where you live!
Post a Comment