Thursday, May 7, 2009

Here We Go Again...

Can you believe it, Jaxon is sick AGAIN?!?  This poor kid gets EVERYTHING!  Bare with me while I vent a bit.  Monday morning Jax came down with a cough.  By Wednesday it was in full force and by that afternoon he had a fever of 101°.  He slept okay, but all night he was burning up, hacking like crazy, wheezing, and the worst was he was panting like crazy and his heart was beating a million miles a minute.  So I took him in this afternoon.  

First off, the wait was 45 minutes and while we were waiting a crazy thing happened.  There was a lady next to me, probably late 20s or so, with a baby.  She seemed fine, then all of a sudden she got up and walked to the nearest service desk.  Next thing I knew someone had grabbed her baby and there was a doctor and like 10 nurses surrounding her.  This crazy old lady from Texas (no offense to Texans, she was just crazy and from Texas...she let EVERYONE know it!) started freaking out covering her face with her shirt saying "Oh no, swine flu, swine flu!"  Well turns out the lady had a stroke.  Scary.

So anyway, looks like Jax most likely has some kind of infection - he had fluid in his chest and just feels yucky.  So he's on antibiotics once again.  But the other thing is he has asthma...bluh!  Poor kid, I guess I should apologize, 'cause he inherited that from my side of the gene pool.  So thats why the wheezing, short breath, and fast heart beat.  I'm sorry Jax.  So he gets to take an inhaler now.  He just took it for the first time and did awesome...he actually thought it was cool.  We'll see how long that lasts!

So one good thing has come out of this...you'll see by the end.  Unfortunately Jaxon is uninsurable (annoying story), which means that he either has to be on MediCal or self pay.  Right now he's on self pay, which is NOT fun.  David is in the same boat.  Because of pre-existing stuff neither can get insurance without having to pay like $1000+/month each - it's ridiculous.  Anyway, I don't know if any of you have ever had to pay out of pocket for medical expenses - it is absolutely insane how much they charge for stuff!  A lot of doctors don't take cash pay and if they do, they charge a TON.  So I've been having to take Jaxon to a clinic.  I absolutely hated the one in Guadalupe.  The doctor was a general physician and knew NOTHING about Pediatrics.  In fact for Jax's 2 month check-up the doctor just read a bunch of questions off a sheet, one being "do you feed your baby meat?"...um no, he's only 2 months old, he doesn't even eat baby food yet, duh!  So when we moved I switched to the clinic closer to us.  It's still a yucky clinic - they all are - not to be snobby, but I feel like I'm just brining home more diseases by going there.  But the good thing (ding, ding, ding) is they actually have Pediatricians there and Jax's is awesome!  She is very understanding and helpful and really cool.  She even makes balloon swords for the boys :)  She found out we were self pay and our visit went from $160 to $40 and she called in our prescription and it was free!  Free!  Really cool.  

So keep our little Jaxy in your prayers.  He's a super tough kid, but unfortunately his immune system isn't so much.

Okay, I'm done...

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Poor little guy! Hopefully the asthma medicine will at least help wtih that end of things!

i hear you on the clinics thing - the only place that does immunizations in our whole county is the Public Health Department office, so that's where we have to take our kids to get their shots. They have this little play area and I NEVER let me kids play on it. One time a nurse there was like, "I don't know why you're so worried - we sanitize everything every night" - it was like 4 pm at that point - I'm like, "Um, what about all the germs that are all over everything from TODAY?"

Kristen Borland said...

oh man, poor kiddo! what a bummer about the insurance! i'm so sorry.

i'll pray for little jaxon.

Stacey B. said...

Sorry Jax! Sorry Mom! I really hate when my kids are sick, it just stinks!
Yeah, I can't imagine the hassle of trying to pay for health insurance, I'm so grateful for the military in that respect. It's basically socialized medicine, so everything is free... that doesn't always mean you get the best care, however, but we've been lucky so far.
I hope Jax gets over his yuck fast. I'll keep him in my prayers...

The Wyett Family said...

oh, i totally feel your pain with the sick kids AND the self-pay. we had close to $2000 in md expenses with brad's whole allergy sitch in about a 2 month period! it still looks like there is no end in sight...but, you gotta do what you gotta do, right? i will definitely keep you guys in prayer. :)