Thursday, January 22, 2009

What a day!

Well today was nothing like my last post (full of fun, smiles, and lack of frustrations).  In fact it was the complete opposite - frustrations and frowns included!  Early (and I mean EARLY) this morning - around 3am, Jaxon woke up waling.  He usually wakes up waling, but this time it was a pain wale.  So for the next 4 hours David and I were up with a screaming little boy.  I thought he had a tummy ache, 'cause every time he would calm down, his stomach would growl, then he'd start crying.  So I gave him gas drops, which obviously didn't work.  Toy Story and the Incredibles DID however work and around 6:45am he finally fell asleep.  Unfortunately for me I had to wake up less than an hour later to get Jonah ready for school.  I let little Jax and his tired daddy sleep in, but around 10am Jax woke up soaking wet - his diaper leaked...lovely!  So I put him in the bath and realized he was pulling on his ear saying, "Mommy, owey eh."  Hmm, so that was the problem!  Another stinkin' earache!  Can you believe it?  Less than 4 days after he finished taking antibiotics for his LAST earache, he has another!  How nice.  SOO I brought him in and sure enough his OTHER ear was infected (and complete with a HUGE ball of wax - seriously I don't know HOW the kid could hear a thing!).  The doctor wanted to put him on stronger antibiotics, but of course it costs like $150 (as opposed to the last one being $15) and he's in between insurances right now, so we have to pay it up.  SOOO the doctor gave him a different kind not as strong, but different and cheaper (but still like $50!  What's up with these Pharmaceutical companies?  Does it really cost that much to make this stuff?), so we'll see.  Man, 3 earaches in 2 1/2 months?  Jonah had lots of earaches, but at least they spanned themselves out a bit!  Oh well, such is the life of a Radmacher, right?   I guess I'm getting payback for burdening my parents with MY many, many, many earaches as a kid!

Unfortunately my day didn't get better.  I dropped off the prescription and while I was waiting, thought it would be nice to treat my boys to the Dollar Store...bad idea!  Jonah really was a huge pain during the doctor's visit, but I didn't blaim him - I was wrestless waiting, too!  They both were major pains in the you know what in the store!  We went back to get the prescription and of course they weren't done, so I sat there in the car (drive-thru) for 20 minutes (luckily a line didn't start behind me until the end) with cranky, stinky kids throwing things and yelling at each other.  Then unfortuately I had to brave the bank with those 2 as well.  Hmm, what a day!  

3 comments:

The Salinas Family said...

I just hate days like those. This is too late but in case it happens again, a few pharmacies back here are doing free antibiotics for a while. Look around. My boys had ear problems so I know how that can add up. I feel for the little guy...and you! =)

Sandy said...

Poor little guy - ear infections are no fun...especially that many in a row! We had a horrible time at the pharmacy the other day, too - Heather was literally falling asleep leaning on the shopping cart (pharmacy is in the grocery store) and Josh was running around and trying to break into all the food items in my cart. At least the baby stayed asleep:)

Anonymous said...

Poor baby (and mama!) Those meds can get expensive, huh!? Lauren is allergic to penicillin and all the rest seem to be big bucks. When she was little, a few times they offered us (and we took!)Zithramax samples...free! It was a full dose. The pharmaceutical companies give them lots of stuff, so may be worth asking?
Love you all, Sue