I know I'm crazy - there are just certain things that I insist on going all out on -costumes and birthday cakes. My mom did it and now I've chosen to carry on the tradition...and I LOVE it! Of course everyone's costumes have to coordinate with each others (when we were kids our entire family were characters from the wizard of oz - my parent included) - there is always a theme. My wonderful husband usually gets the brunt of it - he's a good sport, though (thanks honey)!








Here's our past Halloween ventures:
2003 - Jonah the Lion - This was my first costume and David was lucky enough to have not been drug into it yet.
2004 - Curious George and the Man in the Yellow Hat - It started out as Jonah just being a monkey (David would always make fun of me getting Jonah to do his "tricks" for people, so he would say "Perform, Circus Monkey" - that's where I came up with the idea), but we, okay I, wanted to include David, so they became George and the Man in the Yellow Hat. (sorry for the picture quality, my scanner wasn't working and I can't find a digital copy, so I had to hold it up to my iCamera on the computer).

2005 - Fireman Jonah: Jonah was OBSESSED with firemen, fire trucks, and even fire, so it was the only logical costume choice for him. We were living in LA at the time and what you don't see in the picture is that I actually ordered a junior sized fire badge and an official Los Angeles Fire Department patch that was sewn on to the back - I even made the ax. Jonah wore this costume until the legs went 1/2 way up his shins.
2006 - Willy Wonka (the original of course), Violet Beauregard (I was pregnant with Jax, so it only seemed appropriate to be the big ol' Violet blueberry -I'm not pictured 'cause my costume was lame!), and an Oompa-Loompa: Jonah was really into the movie around this time. This year was probably the most fun of all - for our church's Trunk Or Treat, I made these giant Scrumdidiliumpious bars, Wonka bars, and Everlasting Gobstoppers to decorate our trunk with and we played music from the movie, then we handed out only Willy Wonka candy. David got all into it, getting all into his character - it definitely helps when you have the movie memorized!
2007 - The King (yes, he looks oh so happy, doesn't he?), the Princess (again, not pictured), the Good Knight, and the Dragon. Jonah still wears this costume!
2008....???? Sorry, I'm not letting the cat out of the bag - you'll just have to wait and see what I come up with! I'll give you a hint - it involves satin and tights (no, I'm not dressing all my boys up like princesses or ballerinas - no cross dressers here!) :) Yes, I've started already - I like to be prepared, but truthfully, I'm not the master seamstress (they look good from afar, but just don't look up close!), so it takes me a while to get them done (plus I usually make it up as I go along, which is definitely the case this year!) I'm so excited!



4 comments:
You do such a good job on the costumes! I had big plans to make all the costumes...and I've made MOST of them...but after the first year (all my kids wear the duck costume when they're babies - at least I made that one!)...then KJ was a sheep the second year. And since then, the girls have all been some variety of princess or fairy. I made a couple years worth and just bought them last year. Our closest fabric stores are 3 hours away, so I can't do much! This year the girls already picked out something from their dress-up box, and Josh is borrowing one from a cousin, so I'm off the hook again! Unless, of course, you want to make us some stellar costumes, of course!;)
wow, i'm definately impressed with the costumes. i honestly don't even know how to sew a button on...mark's had to figure it out himself before. my poor family!
I love the pumpkin picture at the top of your blog, I am having fall withdrawl....I am desperate for some crisp air and fall foliage. I love this time of year but it is hard to make soup and think about halloween when we are still at the pool everyday! i love your costumes, every kid needs a mom who embraces halloween!
Last year Evan was really into Curious George, and I SO wanted to do the monkey/Man in the Yellow Hat thing! That hat is perfect, where in the world did you find it?
Post a Comment